Promising to transform the ways we live, work, and play, the Internet of Things (IoT) offers impressive benefits but presents significant challenges.
Today billions of devices are connected to the Internet in what we call the “Internet of Things” or “IoT”. These devices are already transforming our lives, but as they do, there are also serious challenges that must be addressed to maximize the potential benefits.
The document begins by exploring four areas:
– the challenge with defining exactly what the “IoT” is;
– an overview of the technologies that enable the IoT;
– the connectivity models of IoT devices;the transformational potential of the IoT.
The largest portion of the paper presents five primary challenge areas:
– interoperability and standards;
– legal, regulatory, and rights; and
– emerging economies and development.
Sourced through Scoop.it from: www.internetsociety.org